Meta tags are html snippets that provide information about your webpage to search engines like Google.
See the results represented in a title and a small description format; those are the title tag and the meta description for Airbnb; website website meta tags.
How to check the meta tags of your page
Right-click anywhere on the page and select “View Page Source.”
A new tab will open. The part at the top, or “head” of the page, is where the meta tags should be.
The meta tags in HTML will look something like this:
<meta name=”description” content=”” />
You can also check your title tags, meta description and how your website appears on Google Search by Googling “site:yoursite.com”
How to Write the Perfect SEO Title tag
- Take a look at competitor’s meta tags. Get inspired!
- Include keywords that your page is about and not clickbait.
- Convey to the reader what your webpage is about.
- Write a unique title tag for each page; avoid duplicate titles.
- Communicate your added value/current offer.
- Check the length. 60 for title tag and 160 characters for meta description.
- Add numbers, it increases the click through rate (CTR).
How to add a title tag to your page
Copy and paste the code below into the <head> section of your page:
<title>This is the title of your page</title>
For WordPress – Full Guide Link
You can update title and meta description to WordPress by:
- Step 1: Login into your WordPress backend. Sites developed in WordPress has a default access link yoursite.com/wp-login.php
- Step 2: Install Yoast SEO Plugin.
- Step 3: Hit edit on the post/page you wish to edit and scroll down.
For Wix – Full Guide Link
How to add meta titles for SEO on Wix?
Shopify has similar built-in functionality to set new meta tags.
#1 Login into the Shopify admin page
#2 On the left side click preferences under online store
#3 Update or add new meta tags for your store
Or watch Shopify’s detailed tutorial